The terrific collage you see below was created by Jose Marin. He used photos from the Pacific Region Youth of the Year Celebration in Huntington Beach, Calif. That’s where he and I met a couple of weeks ago.
Jose’s a bright young guy, went to the nearby San Pedro Unit of the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Los Angeles Harbor. Now he’s a Dean’s List student at California State University-Northridge and an intern at Toyota Financial Services, a sponsor of the Pacific Celebration. His steady progress toward a great future characterizes the kind of success we envision for all Boys & Girls Club members.
That night in Huntington Beach, Yossymar Rojas of BGCs of Capistrano Valley, Calif., and Daj’zhane Radford-Walton from Davis-Monthan AFB Youth Programs in Arizona, were named Pacific Youth of the Year and Pacific Military Youth of the Year, respectively.
At a Sept. 18 Congressional Breakfast, they’ll join nine co-finalists in Washington, D.C., for BGCA’s National Youth of the Year ceremonies, where one will be named 2013-14 National Youth of the Year. Congratulations to all of our traditional and military Regional Youth of the Year winners, who are listed below. We'll see you next month!
Traditional YOY Winners
- Northeast: Martaluz Olang, BGCs of Hartford, Conn.
- Midwest: Jesse Friedman, BGCs of South Oakland County, Mich.
- Southwest: Kiana Knolland, BGCs of South Central Kansas
- Pacific: Yossymar Rojas of BGCs of Capistrano Valley, Calif.
- Southeast: Meeri Shin, Boys & Girls Clubs of Cleveland, Tenn.
Military YOY Winners
- Midwest: RaShaan Allen, Devers Youth Center, Fort Knox, Ky.
- Northeast: Brandon Shields, Joint Base Andrews Youth Programs, Andrews AFB, Md.
- Pacific: Daj’zhane Radford-Walton, Davis-Monthan AFB Youth Programs, Arizona
- Southeast: Stephanie Nicole Ramer, Moody AFB Youth Center, Ga.
- Southwest: Brianna Sheperd, Holloman AFB Youth & Teen Center, Alamogordo, N.M.
- Overseas: Xavier Thompson, RAF Station Lakenheath, Suffolk, England